Jan 9, 2015

The Next Chapter: Advice on How to Improve Your Small Business in 2015

Cynthia Laurash

Consulting Manager

Duquesne University SBDC

Learn Something New
Find the time to learn something new even if it's not related to your business. It's important to achieve a healthy balance between work and personal life. If you're looking to learn more about growing and succeeding in the small business world, take a look at some of our workshops coming up  in 2015

Shea Matthews
Marketing Coordinator
Duquesne University Center for Green Industries

Green Your Business

This Five Part Video Series on running a sustainable or green business from the Duquesne Center for Green Industries and Sustainable Business Growth educates entrepreneurs on the benefits of "going green" and how to start and maintain a green business. 

Autumn Edmiston

Edmiston Group
Create and Execute an Editorial Social Media Calendar
By using an editorial social media calendar, regular postings and fun days can be incorporated for overall engagement. Take a planning afternoon over the holidays and lay out your calendar for 2015. Incorporate wacky fun days, ask questions and provide relevant content. Only 20% of your efforts should be related to selling something. The other 80% should be engaging or informational. Find this step-by-step guide to setting up your calendar from Edmiston Group. 

Brent Rondon

GLOBAL Business Program Manager

Duquesne University SBDC

Engage and Participate in Travel Opportunities
In the last 35 years, U.S. exports increased from $224 billion to $2.3 trillion. The global marketplace is growing by an average of 5% per year. Take advantage of international opportunities and "Go Global." Duquesne SBDC offers resources and workshops on international business training. 

Linda D'Angelo


The Small Biz Shop

Set Yourself Apart and be a Voice of Expertise
Work on personal branding so people will easily recognize your name. In order to start, identify a LinkedIn group, an online magazine, a webinar series and/or a certification program related to your area of expertise. Commit to expanding your skills via these avenues. Share your new knowledge with a blog series and social media posts. Stand out and be daring! Learn about hands-on training for sharing your knowledge across social media platforms. 

Svitlana Mahoney


Duquesne University SBDC

Make Time For YOU
The all work and no play lifestyle is not healthy and may lead to physical and mental health problems. Make some time in your calendar to do something you like. Whether it's playing golf or knitting a scarf, you need a personal life to be successful in your work life. If you cannot seem to find free time, write it into your calendar. Have a meeting or conference call with yourself!